Sunday, January 11, 2015

"Grandma, They're STICKS" -"Yes, and SO MUCH MORE!"


Well Hello Dear Reader,

 
You guessed it, my six year old grandson was not thrilled with the box of "Sticks" I gave him for Christmas.  In fact, that box of "Sticks" sat unopened and untouched well into January.  This changed when one  dark, January night  Dad had to go to hockey and Mom was at work and Grandma was on babysitting duty.
Let's play with the sticks you guys!

 
 
 
 It all started out nice and casual.  Ethan starts building upwards  and soon has designed a building with several floors.  He shows me where the BMX bikes and snowboards are stored in the bottom level.  Ari, is watching Ethan's every move and soon has a put together a garage that complements Ethan's theme. 

 I can't remember the exact moment in time when the high rise structure became a diving platform along with an elaborate staircase and pool (Ari's garage is now moved into position and becomes the pool) but it all made perfect sense to Ari, and Ethan.  Ethan exits the scene briefly  and comes back with two lego figures (they become people). They each had long names and he had them executing  complex dives. After each dive, they  climbed the stairs to flip through the air and into the pool again and again. 
 But wait, Ari, has decided the pool is a paddock and she is off to get her horses.  Soon one horse becomes many and her stable arrives on scene and is attached to the structure.  Ethan, shifts immediately into equestrian facility coordinator and informs Ari, each horse needs it's own paddock. Adjustments are made to the structures. Even though I am an active participant, it occurs to me that as the responsible adult, I am supposed to do something... what was it? Oh yeah, these kids have to get to bed.  Off they go for a wardrobe change. But they return and fall right back into role. 
 
 Ari, shows Ethan exactly where "Athena" (the white horse) has escaped and is running away into town.  Ethan closes the enclosure and then goes out looking for Athena.  "Oh Thank Goodness, Here she is"...(right beside Ari's toy rocking horse that happens to be in the corner of the living room).  They bring her back and all is good back at the stable.  They shut the doors on the stable and I take my cue... "Time for bed."...We are pretty tired out and with good reason. It takes time and thought to put together a really good equestrian facility.

Before, I wrap up with a witty phrase such as "And that is why sticks are SO MUCH MORE", I can't help pontificating. 

 You see, I had just witnessed a remarkable event - Play became Story.  As I  gathered my darlings for  bedtime,  it struck me that  they had created, scripted and illustrated their own story right before my very eyes. It reminded me that play and story are one and the same. 
I had participated in a play/literacy interface!  Yippee!
I think I was a pretty good play partner.  I didn't argue when I was assigned my roles.  I was careful to follow their lead and not direct the play.  And the most important thing... I had fun.

Whenever I see academic language about play actually manifested and revealed through the every day actions of my very own grandkids, I feel privileged and honoured and responsible to sing out praises to the  academics who write important documents such as " BC Ministry of Education's Early Learning Framework (ELF).  I am here to say that they got it right.  It isn't a bunch of fancy babble by talking heads...it is good work and worthy of every citizen's careful examination. 


I invite you to download the BC Ministry Early Learning Framework and put it into action every day that you interact with young learners.  The foundation principles are solid and I would be over the moon if you would share your observations, your experiences and reflections  as you put the ELF talk about Playing to Learn into action.

Until we blog again,
I remain in friendship,
Donna Klockars
The Literacy Lady


No comments:

Post a Comment