Saturday, March 5, 2016

Grandma, Let's do my Chapter Book

Hello Reader,



A few of my friends know that I can go on and on about early literacy issues.  Every once in a while they give me the signal that they are willing to engage in a conversation  about the role that caring adults play in passing on the legacy of literacy.  I know that my window of opportunity for these grand conversations is fleeting and so I promise not to dip into  my acumen on  arcane matters about literacy.  If I fail in restraining myself, the consequences are swift and predictable...rolling of the eyes and body language that screams..."Nobody cares!" 





But I am hoping we can talk today.

 I want to get this off my chest or I think I will burst! 

Jayden, age seven, is writing his first chapter book.  He  arrives at my door to announce "It is time to do the Chapter Book".   I am told to sit down at the computer, to record the story as he dictates it to me.   I must  follow his directions about  necessary edits and changes as his  story line gallops along. All this literary activity has been going on for almost a month and Jayden's characters  have been getting into all sorts of crazy adventures at Brannenbrook on a daily basis. 


Because of my role as secretary to the authour, I have been privileged to many insights about how  chapter books work.  (according to authour Jayden Nickel) 

1. Chapter books must have twelve chapters
2. If your baby brother is going to be in the story, he has to be made older or it will be too dangerous for him to keep up with the big kids
3.Animals can talk and be understood only by certain special individuals like  Ari, 
4. You know it is time to end a chapter if something big or scary is going on...this makes the reader come back for more.
6.If you get two story ideas going, you have to get them connected somehow.  (This isn't easy)
7. When you get to chapter eleven you have to solve all the problems because everyone has to be happy in Chapter Twelve.
8. It is best to get a really good artist and make lots of copies of your book so that people all around the world will read your story.



 Who knows?  Someday, you might notice Jayden's Chapter Book in a book store. The story might be about these little leaves surrounded by rocks. 





But dear friends, I suggest that the  story is also about Jayden's parents, grandparents, and teachers who have taken the time to share stories, books, and conversations with him  since he was just a tiny baby.  
  
 All of those caring adults in Jayden's life helped wrap him in a  "Blanket of Literacy".    And this is why Jayden is writing his very first book with twelve chapters  at seven years of age.  

Which brings me back to the Big Ticket item here:
Caring Adults Pass on the Legacy of Literacy.

Thanks for letting me share.
Donna aka The Book Lady aka Grandma





No comments:

Post a Comment