Monday, May 2, 2016

What Aristotle taught me about Kid Watching-or- How Aristotle and I are similar

Dear Reader,

If you happened to have been one of the few who willingly  toe-dip into my blog, it might not surprise you that Aristotle has worked his way into the conversation.  I like to kid-watch...and I mean really WATCH the kids.  And as a result of this REALLY, REALLY, INTENSE, kid watching,  I have noticed certain things about the very nature and structure of human thought.
But first,allow me to provide some background.

A very long time ago, Aristotle enjoyed his evening chill time by watching ships disappear into the distance as they left port.  He was a man of routine and so one might speculate that he watched a lot of ships disappear as they made their way to new destinations.  He routinely noticed that the first thing to disappear from his sight was the hull.  No exceptions...every time he watched, the hull vanished before the mast and sail. But one day, this sequence of events struck him as rather odd.  On a flat surface, shouldn't the dwindling of ships occur equally as they eventually disappear.  Shouldn't the ship just fade into a smaller and smaller dot?
I am suggesting that just as Aristotle discerned all sorts of profound things about the nature and structure of the universe from the simple act of spending countless hours observing what many might consider a rather ordinary event. I am also suggesting that through careful observation and logic every one of us can see the evolution of  thinking, cognition and creativity unfold simply by watching how the very young (aka my grandkids) early language manifests.

I have already pontificated about the Brody's uncanny ability as a newborn to lock on the human face and engage in conversation.  But what has me tossing and turning at night are the hidden messages in Brody's recent burst of gesturing and vocalizing.  Dear Reader, I am going to be bold. I am going to be brave.  My next entries will chronicle my daily observations... and you guessed it: my pontifications about what it all means.  I believe that brody's unfolding/blossoming early early language events hold the essence of the structure and nature of thinking.

Oh my, I am full of myself tonight!
Till later,
Donna says bonsoir  for now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment